The 2014 challenge is now complete. This page is kept for information purposes only. Please see the print friendly PDF files on right hand side of your screen now.
Enter the 2014 Challenge
NEW! Online entry form for easy and smart entry process. The downloadable supporting PDF documents on the right hand side provide you with useful information by headings.
Two Categories for entering
The Two categories that were implemented in 2013 were a great success. Long (and expensive to stock) wine lists are often associated with fine dining. Shorter (not inferior, simply more selective) lists are often associated with a relaxed dining approach. These two categories areas are again used.
- Fine dining - long wine list, or
- Relaxed dining - shorter wine list
The establishment selects the appropriate Category that feels best suited to its profile. Both categories have 3 tiers of awards that can be won – inspirational, excellent and highly regarded.
10 key benefits to entrants
- High profile
- Increase visibility & footfall
- Winners restricted to 100 restaurants
- Year-long promotion activity; all of 2014
- Top quality highly regarded judges and panel
- Transparent protocol, clear criteria, feedback potential
- Leverage opportunities with Top 100 winning vineyards
- Free entry to the Top 100 tasting festivals in CT & JHB
- Winners showcased on high traffic website, extensive database marketing
- 2014 edition Top 100 book entry with substantial distribution…your establishment in it!
Key changes for 2014 Challenge
New innovations and changes to suit establishments even better for 2014 have been implemented.
Winner’s additional marketing benefits are again voluntary. Select what works
Additional benefits includes a free ticket to attend the Top 100 SA Wines tasting festivals, in April (value R200)
- Six special awards:
1. Most Improved (for previous entrants)
2. Best Regional Selection (focus on area, cultivar or something unique)
3. Most Innovative Selection (unusual, creative, flair)
4. Best International Selection
5. Best Value (there may be more than one winner)
6. Best Overall
Top 100 sets the standard:
Restaurant customers and staff deserve to have access to a judged wine list protocol that is transparent and appealing and value adding. Consumers and wine lovers alike benefit from the plausible rankings as well as special awards. These increase professionalism and enhance overall dining enjoyment.
Wine is an integral part of good dining. Fine wines and great service are both key to a really enjoyable dining experience.
International and local diners have expectations for a better and constantly improving quality of wine and service. The annual Top 100 SA Wine List Challenge 2014 helps to fulfil these needs.
SASA is again pleased to endorse the Top 100 Challenge given the quality of judges and the pedigree of judging protocol including professional audit of results.